Are you ready for some good news? Knowing how to nail an internship isn’t any type of rocket science! You have several weapons at hand to help you find – and keep – an internship quickly. The first thing you need to do is keep an eye out for companies offering internships and then apply for them! But there are some secret tricks that will make it easier below.
Here is a list of internship resources that can help you get an internship in the travel industry:
- Enquire with internship providers or student placement services: There are internship search engines such as internships.com.au, or you can simply google internships and still get good results. Try to add your location to the search to refine the search results.
- Take advantage of your social media: Be sure to follow the companies that you would like to work for. Most organisations nowadays will post up information about the available internships going.
- Browse job boards: The job boards like Monster, Indeed or Glassdoor can help to filter out the location of where you want your internship.
- Go to job fairs: This might sound outdated. Most graduates avoid them, and this is why you will stand out when you don’t ignore them. Turn up late to an event, so you get more time with the hiring managers.
- Learn to network: People tend to think that networking means calling your dads work friends. No way! Read up on the information needed in interviews so you can supersize the social muscle and find an internship fast.
- Visit your local career centre: The career counsellors will give you all the info that you need about the internships in your area.
How do you ask for an internship?
Is there a special way that you need to ask for an internship? Yes, in fact, there is.
- Know how to find the internship coordinator first
- Hiring managers are busy. Consider respecting their time and send them an email.
- Try to be brief and don’t take no for an answer. Turn no into a different opportunity by asking for another role or appointment.
Show them you are the right person for the internship
Did you know that hiring managers want to see personalised resumes? You should be customising your resume and how you act in your interview to make you stand out. Learn the goals and key facts about the company and the internships they have on offer. Tweak your resume to fit that.
How to get an internship with popular names?
Indeed: If you want an internship type internship into their search field with the category of what you want to get into such as the travel industry. Put in your location, and you will be greeted with plenty of options.
Glassdoor jobs: This company can help you to find an internship position that suits you. Use it similar to Indeed.com. You will get valuable info about the different companies from the previous interns, which is great.
Monster: This site works similar to Indeed and Glassdoor. It is more of a traditional job search site, but it does have intern capabilities.
Have confidence and research the company before settling in with the decision that is where you want to work. You also want to make sure you get a proper internship contract to avoid being exploited by your employer. Talk to those in the travel sector and see how they like it and what advice they can give you. Doing some volunteer work can help you gain an internship and give you some much-needed insight into what you will be doing and what the job entails. This gives you time to change your mind if you decide that it isn’t for you.